So I was weeding today, (one of my favorite pastimes!... Not) and I was detangling the morning glory from around a rose bush that had pretty much grown out of control in every direction. While I was thus yanking the dirty weeds from the plant, enjoying the death of each miserable one in triumph thinking, "stupid... freaking... weeds. Hate! lots of hate! HAA there goes another one! woo hoo." I was struck by a moment of what I will look at as, um... brief profound wisdom. :) Concerning the rose bush and not the weeds. Suddenly the following occurred to me: What if, by some strange occasion or choice we make in life, we become a person who has no priorities in life or no direction like the rose bush. It was growing so out of control that it had completely stopped producing rosebuds. Isn't that the object of a rose bush; to produce beautiful roses; to add an array of color to its green existence?? It had been so without the necessary pruning for so long that it became wild and thorny. Not a very attractive sight. Such is life. If we do not occasionally take the time to "prune" our existence, our life can easily become misguided and wild. Branching off in unknown directions, and creating thorns all along the way. I've seen it happen to so many good friends and it truly causes grief in my heart. If there was, for one moment, something I could do to lend a helping hand to any of them in any way, I would gladly! Unfortunately, pride tends to get in the way. Many times a person's priorities slowly take a downward clime. The things that are important such as, family, loved ones, positive goals,... gelato tend to take a far back seat to one's selfish desires. *Sigh* I hope that never happens to me. Erin, if I ever start acting like a selfish piece of... well as Mathew Quigley put so eloquently, "...something that came out of the south end of a north bound Kangaroo..." you have my permission to do... whatever. (within reason of course)
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Priorities
So I was weeding today, (one of my favorite pastimes!... Not) and I was detangling the morning glory from around a rose bush that had pretty much grown out of control in every direction. While I was thus yanking the dirty weeds from the plant, enjoying the death of each miserable one in triumph thinking, "stupid... freaking... weeds. Hate! lots of hate! HAA there goes another one! woo hoo." I was struck by a moment of what I will look at as, um... brief profound wisdom. :) Concerning the rose bush and not the weeds. Suddenly the following occurred to me: What if, by some strange occasion or choice we make in life, we become a person who has no priorities in life or no direction like the rose bush. It was growing so out of control that it had completely stopped producing rosebuds. Isn't that the object of a rose bush; to produce beautiful roses; to add an array of color to its green existence?? It had been so without the necessary pruning for so long that it became wild and thorny. Not a very attractive sight. Such is life. If we do not occasionally take the time to "prune" our existence, our life can easily become misguided and wild. Branching off in unknown directions, and creating thorns all along the way. I've seen it happen to so many good friends and it truly causes grief in my heart. If there was, for one moment, something I could do to lend a helping hand to any of them in any way, I would gladly! Unfortunately, pride tends to get in the way. Many times a person's priorities slowly take a downward clime. The things that are important such as, family, loved ones, positive goals,... gelato tend to take a far back seat to one's selfish desires. *Sigh* I hope that never happens to me. Erin, if I ever start acting like a selfish piece of... well as Mathew Quigley put so eloquently, "...something that came out of the south end of a north bound Kangaroo..." you have my permission to do... whatever. (within reason of course)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, darling. I will. I'm still the favorite, it hurts, like pruning, I know. But you need to accept that. It's a fact. By-the-by I love your background. It's beautimus!
Post a Comment