Too often in one's life do we take things for granted. Its so easy to get lost in the every-day cycle that life throws at us and forget the times worth remembering. I'll be the first to admit that I've gone throughout life not recognizing enough how lucky I am to have parents that love and care about me; parents who took time to make sure that I had a happy, good, wonderful childhood. Specifically though, I'd like to write of my Father: Scott Edward Goodwin.
For me, describing Dad isn't difficult. Simply because there's so much I like about him. I've always viewed him in a light that is... Dignified. Just that, Dignified! He has so many talents that cease to amaze me. When I was quite a bit younger, I remember watching him in the evenings while he'd paint, or work on a leather project, or read. I always enjoyed just sitting next to him at the table while he focused on his work, and just memorizing his concentrated expressions while I'd ask him questions about the project at hand. Especially if it was a leather project, I always looked forward to Mom's voice from upstairs yelling, "Stop that banging!" while he'd pound a piece of art into a strip of leather. Though many would become annoyed at a constant on-looker asking questions and distracting the artist's concentration, Dad never did with me. He'd usually get me a paper to paint on while he painted, or cut me a piece of leather where I was able to make my own creation. Obviously, my young, inexperienced hand never created the outcome that I wished but that didn't take away from the enjoyment of the moment.
Dad is a very caring person. I know this because he's the type who will call me at about 4:45, roughly 5:00 AM in the morning just to let me know that he cares. I won't expound too much on the early morning conversation because it's personal, but lets just say that it helped tremendously. I look forward to mornings where my phone's going off in my ear, I'm completely disoriented, and I hear Dad's voice on the other end completely happy that he's interrupting my slumber, saying, "Wake up! The day's half over!!" I mean in every sincere way that those moments truly make life more worth living. Being a caring person also involves being a problem solver, and since he's a Civil Engineer, this quality comes quite naturally to him. He's always quick to find the most logical solution to practically any problem.
Mom and I are constantly giving him a hard time and making fun when we tell him that he's getting grouchy in his "old age". Yet, he's always taking time to take the Dogs on a walk, or play with the Grandkids. I really do love how tender he is when he's playing with his Grandchildren. He turns into such a softy! Its wonderful. I could go on and on about the admiration I hold for my Father, but I think it would be appropriate to say that, in general, I'm proud that he is simply a Good Person. He is an example to me, and I owe him for so much happiness that I've enjoyed in life. I love that he loves my Mother, and I love that he is kind. I'm not sure if he realizes how much I do watch, or how much respect I hold for him. I guess that I just need to tell him more often.
1 comment:
l love Dad, too! Good post. You should do another one sometime soon. ;)
Post a Comment