Monday, February 1, 2010

Bedtime Stories

Last night I found Aubrey reading bedtime stories to her two beautiful children: Jaden and Madeleine. The sight was so precious it made me remember all of the time my parents spent reading to me when I was that young. My favorites were "The Little Critter" stories by Mercer Mayer, "Blossom Comes Home" by James Herriott, and "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak. The memory is still quite vivid. Its easy to say that during those young, careless years, I was only interested in the pictures but I can still hear my Mother's calm, soft voice reading me to sleep.


"Just A Mess" was probably one of the most frequently read stories. It is funny to think back and wonder if my Mom had some sort of foresight while reading this book, because during my teenage years, my room always looked as if some sort of natural disaster had destroyed it. (Sorry Mom).

Speaking of teenage years, this one, "I was so Mad" seems appropriate for any teenager. I remember my parents saying that my big brother Aidan spent all of his teenage years mad. HA HA! They would say, "He was only ever nice to Ashley!" Yes! that is because I am the favorite... and the youngest... and the smartestest... and the bestest. I'm also Adelei's favorite Aunt! *Don't tell Aubrey ;) * But, I've found that Children's books have a lot of foresight and wisdom in them... especially this next one: The best end to a long, hard, tiring day is to, "Just Go To Bed". Now that I am a "mature" adult I have become very thankful for a warm bed, and comfy covers. It is amusing to see Maddi fight sleep, or bedtime. I laugh and think, "I remember when I never wanted to go to bed (wasn't that long ago)." I was always afraid I would miss out on something exciting, or maybe it was just being scared of the dark (still am). However, after an entire day of work, then going home to make dinner, clean, and do laundry, etc. I find the reunion with my soft bed most rewarding. Then I wake up in the morning and do it all over again. *You know what I'm talking about.*

3 comments:

Erin Brady said...

"Some say that I'm silly, others that I'm mislead, but I've never found a better lover than my own delightful bed." ;)
I love children's books! Now that I'm a mommy I have a nice excuse to buy as many as I want...what am I talking about? I did that before I became a mom. The other day I bought, "Where the Wild Things Are" for LiLi. It still makes me giggle when they "roar their terrible roars, and gnash their terrible teeth and roll their terrible eyes."

Aubrey said...

Mercer Mayer is my favorite children's author also. You should check out his fairy tales the illustrations are incredible! When I was young "East of the Sun and West of the Moon" was my all time favorite. It features a heroine's quest to atone for a past mistake prove her love. "Beauty and the Beast" is also a favorite.
http://www.mercermayer.com/
Mom would read me the Madeline books when I was little. It's one of my earliest memories

Aleta said...

I'm glad you remembered the stories. I'm glad I took the time to read them, even though I'd get tired of reading the same ones over and over and over. I'm now reading the same stories to another generation, I have them memorized this time around.