Monday, February 8, 2010

Volantynys Day and Geoffrey Chaucer

Ah...Valentine's Day, Dia de Amor, vive l'amore, e'tre amoureux!
So I was trying to discover how Valentine's Day came to be a holiday, and my research came up short. The closest/oldest connection I could find was in Geoffrey Chaucer's "Parlemente of Foules":

For this was on seynt Volantynys day
Whan euery bryd comyth there to chese his make.

Chaucer's wrote this poem for the wedding of King Richard II of England and his Queen-to-be... or Queen bee... whichever you prefer. Where did this holiday come from with its symbols of hearts (which actually look nothing like the real thing), doves, and little kids, running around wearing nothing but wings, shooting people with arrows!!? - Jaden totally fits this description.

Though I may never completely know where the idea of Valentine's Day came from, I'm sure glad we have it. It makes me think of all the reasons I'm lucky to have my forever-Valentine; my blondie sugar cakes - man cub, Cody! So if you will bear with me, here are some of my favorite Cody-isms:

- His incredible ability to talk in his sleep! True story. If I wasn't so drowsy when it happens, I'd be laughing my head off... in my sleep.
- His way with words. Here are some of the more famous Cody quotes:
"Are you being a ruder?"
"I'm the Mayor of this town!"
"You mongoose lover."
"Easy there sisterhood of the traveling pants."
[While shooting a basketball] "If I make this next one, I win!!"
- His impression of a dwarf still has the ability to freak me out, while at the same time making me laugh.
- His Extrasensory Perception (ESP). The following conversation took place via text last week:
Cody: How is work?
Me: Fine.
Cody: Trouble with a customer?
Me: How did you know?!
Cody: I can read your mind remember?
Me: [a while later] Okay, what am I thinking now?
Cody: "I am so hungry." (which is exactly what I was thinking, no joke).
Me: Holy cow! How did you do that!?

I could easily go on.

Cody is an extremely hard worker. He goes to school full time working to complete his senior year in Accounting/Business, and he works 40 hrs. each week. During his busy schedule, he still finds time to be mine. Which is an enormous accomplishment in my opinion.

Lets be honest, girls are not easy to live with. We are unusually angry/violent one week per every month which adds up to be roughly 84 days; 12 weeks a year, and that isn't including pregnancy. Pregnancy is the transformation from semi-nice creatures to flesh-eating monsters who cry and pee a lot!! Nine months of pregnancy could easily be the equivalent of 400 years in purgatory for a guy.

So here is my suggestion: Take your honey, give him a warm hug and a smooch, thank him for working hard, tell him you're his #1 fan, and whatever else you want to say. Then make him go buy you flowers, (or in Aubrey's case, a pepsi)!

In the words of Geoffrey, "Feynd ye byrd, and celebrate a Happy Volantynys Day."

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

Yeah those poor, poor, guys having to live with a pregnant woman... Just so you know the women who say they "love being pregnant" are playing mind games! Being pregnant is like being beamed up to the mother-ship, and suddenly you and some alien have cohabitation issues, in your body, because they think they have to play soccer with your bladder. Plus suddenly your fat, you can't check your pedicure . . .and the word MILK makes you hurl . . . all day and night . . . just when you think you will be pregnant til you die. . . never mind I do want a niece from you, lots of nieces... Have a great valentines and remember: the Valentines Day Massacre had nothing to do with angry pregnant ladies... It was during prohibition and the target was Bugs Morgan . . .
Love Me

Erin Brady said...

Oh for the love!! Guys have it SO easy. In my perfect world every guy will be required to go through the last trimester of being pregnant. Then they'll realize how amazing and wonderful their wives are!
FYI Valentines day is based on Saint Valentines, who would sneak love letters from one lover to another. He gave them hope, and was Sainted for it.
I'm glad you blogged again. I was thinking of doing a similar post about Don since I really embarrassed him with the last one I did, and it's hard to embarrass Don.