Friday, February 5, 2010

M*A*S*H


After years of being entertained by this comedy/drama, I have finally done it! By this I mean that on 2/3/2010 I watched the very last episode, "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen". It all began when I was a sophomore in high school. My Mom bought the first season of MASH on DVD and from that point on, I would wait for the following seasons to come out. Is this a little obsessive? Heck no! It took me almost 6 years to get through all 250 or so episodes. I have laughed, cried, and fallen in love with the 11 Season TV series of M*A*S*H.

The TV series is based off the Movie that was filmed around 1970 which, was based off of the book. Neither hold a candle to the brilliance of the television series which was filmed from 1972-1983. The series is about the experience of Surgical Doctors during the Korean War (1950-1953). It shows a great many of the hardships of "Meatball surgery", and yet through it all, these particular characters have enough insanity to try to remain sane after being elbow-deep in someone's poor, mutilated body.
I will briefly introduce the characters:
Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce - He is a brilliant surgeon with absolutely no respect for the military. He delights in getting to know as many nurses as possible (if ya know what I mean), but his good points truly out-shine is negative ones.

Col. Henry Blake - This is the first commanding officer of MASH 4077. He loves fly-fishing and is easily manipulated by Hawkeye and Trapper, especially with the help of "Radar" O'Reilly (the company clerk). Unfortunately, Henry's plane is shot down by enemy fire on his way home.

Col. Sherman Potter - He is an exceptional commander, who takes over after the death of Henry Blake. Col. Potter is an old war horse, so to speak. A veteran of all the great wars, he frequently has enjoyable anecdotes to share with any who will listen, and could give you dirt on any of the high-ranking Generals or Colonels.

Capt. John "Trapper" McIntyre - He is Hawkeye's best friend, who shares his dislike for military command. He is extremely clever, as well as an excellent surgeon. Trapper goes home only a few seasons in.

Capt. B.J. Hunnicut - B.J. is the surgeon who replaces Trapper, and eventually becomes Hawkeye's best friend. He is exceptionally smart, and even more clever. He is also a brilliant joker.

Corporal Walter "Radar" O'Reilly - He is the innocent, boyish company clerk who enjoys a Grape-nehi every once in awhile. Radar is pretty much the person in charge because he knows everything there is to know. He enjoys sleeping with his teddy bear, and has a great love for animals. His nickname "Radar" comes from the fact that he can usually predict, or hear things before anyone else.

Major Frank Burns - Frank is usually the butt-end of all of Hawkeye's jokes, or any one's joke for that matter. He is an ignorant, self-righteous surgeon who actually cheated on his medical exam. Frank, however is quite likable because he never fails to say stupid things, which are pretty funny. He and Margaret Houlihan have an affair, (which they try unsuccessfully to keep a secret) before she breaks it off to marry someone else.

Major Margaret "Hot-lips" Houlihan - She is the head nurse of the 4077 MASH. Being raised as an "army brat" has taught her to be rough n' tough. She is extremely soft on the inside.

Major Charles Emerson Winchester III (the third) - Charles prefers to be called by his given name, "Charles". He is a perfect snob. He comes from an old Boston Massachusetts family, where he grew up with an enjoyment of French wine, classical music, and an idea that he is obviously above average in every way. However, he has sides which are most lovable.

Corporal (later Sargeant) Max Klinger - Klinger loved being a civilian, in fact, he loved it enough to dress in women's clothes to try to get a "Section 8" discharge from the army. For the first few seasons, Klinger's pretty good taste in women's clothes is later dismissed when he takes over as company clerk after Radar goes home.

Father Francis Mulcahy - He is the unit's Catholic Priest. He is soft spoken with a love for charity, turning the other cheak, and boxing! Father Mulcahy is always good with some exceptional advice for those who seek his opinion.

One of the main reasons I love M*A*S*H, is because of the brilliance of certain parts of the script. They have some of the most clever conversations/one-liners I've ever heard. They never miss a beat! Genius! So allow me to share some of my favorites:

Hawkeye: I had a dream last night that I was asleep, and I dreamt it while I was awake!

Hawkeye: Relax Frank, you're acting paranoid Frank: I'm only paranoid because everyone is against me!


Margaret: [to Henry] You're drunk! Henry: That's a dirty lie, and I intend to press charges, the minute I'm sober. Henry: [drunk, holding a gun] Don't move, Korea, this is a stick-up!

Hawkeye: [thinking as he writes a letter] I've never put much stock in ESP, but if it's possible for one person to read another person's mind, Radar has that ability. The little fink. Radar: [walking past] Is that a nice thing to say!?

Henry: There's nothing wrong with Klinger... I mean he goes out with girls. Capt. Hildebrand: [thoughtfully] He must be stealing their clothes.

Margaret: [Drunk, slurred] I-am-not-so-think-as-I-drunk-you-am!

Klinger: [Reading an alleged letter from home] "Dear son..."
Henry: You obviously haven't sent a recent picture.
Henry: [pulling out Klinger's file] Father dying, huh?
Klinger: Yes, sir
Henry: [sorting through Klinger's file] Father dying...last year. Mother dying...last year. Mother and father dying. Mother, father and older sister dying. Mother dying, older sister pregnant. Older sister dying, and Mother pregnant. Here's an oldie, but a goodie: Half the family dying, and the other half pregnant. [Puts file down] Klinger, aren't you ashamed of yourself?
Klinger: Yes sir. I don't deserve to be in the army.

Hawkeye: I will not carry a gun, Frank! When I got thrown into this war I had a clear understanding with the Pentagon: No Guns. I'll carry your books, I'll carry a torch, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, carry over, carry forward, Cary Grant, Cash and Carry, carry me back to Old Virginia, I'll even 'hari kari' if you show me how, but I will not carry a gun!

Henry: [talking to Hawkeye about a missing lamb]: Do I know? Do I know anything? Everything in this country disappears but me. Boy, I'd like to wake up one morning, look down, and find myself gone.

Henry: Boy, I wish I knew what was going on.
Radar: I'll tell you later, sir.
Henry: You always say that, Radar, but you never do.

Radar: [over the PA announcer] Attention! By command of the new Commanding Officer, all officers report to the Commanding Officer's Office, sirs.

BJ: Ah, the long dog days of work.
Hawkeye: I had a long little dog once.
BJ: oh a little hot dog? What happened to it?
Hawkeye: It got all mustered out.
BJ: I relish these conversations.

Frank: Klinger! I want to see you out of that dress...tonight!
Klinger: [rushing past to an emergency truck] Never on a first date, sir!

Hawkeye: Whoe does he think he is, The merchang of Korea!?
BJ: Stop crying, it's just a pound of flesh.
Hawkeye: A pound of flesh, my butt!
BJ: Wherever.

Charles: (after one-upping Hawkeye and B.J. with a photo of him and Audrey Hepburn having dinner): When will you two cretins realize that your feeble imaginations cannot keep up with my real life?

Mulcahy: [after winning a hand of poker] Just as the Lord said to Noah, "Everything in pairs."
Hawkeye: Of course the Lord was holding three aces at the time.

Okay that is a lot of writing so I'll stop now.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Erin Brady said...

I love all of the quotes! They made me laugh. I can't believe that you blogged twice in one week! Isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse?