Friday, February 26, 2010

My favorite Little Rascals

So there I was... parking my car in the garage yesterday after arriving home from work. I see Aubrey standing at the mud-room door with a great big smile, ready with the latest on a Jane Austen kick we've both been going through.

As I was listening to her, I must admit my attention wavered a bit when little Jaden, who had been standing in the background holding his bear with his tiny hands, walked up to me and being only knee-high, gave me such a heart-melting hug saying, "Ashee!" Then he walked away in his little-boy-Jaden manner, turned and walked back to give me another hug! My delight was above description.

I have such a strong love for my nieces and nephews. I am certain that they are the most adorable-sweet-best looking-cutest-smartest little rascals. I love to observe the innocent mannerisms they all have, and it never ceases to amaze me how their imaginations can entertain.

The newest addition to our little rascal clan is Adelei.
Adelei. The Lili-bee. Who knew so much cuteness could be in such a tiny, small half-pint. Her little paint-brush pig tails get me every time. She is a perfect siren. I'm referring to the type that lure you in with their sweetness and break your heart when they cry for their loving Mudder...er... Mother. Yes, I expect great things from her.

The little Bridger. That boy is so. dang. cute!! I have no doubt that he will one-day be able to take his old Pappy, Aidan in a wrestling match. And I hope I'm there to see it because I say Aidan deserves it! After, all the times when he would come home and mess up my perfectly made bed!! Justice shall be served... uh... through my sweet nephew Bridger... YES! Go Bridger! I can't wait to see that little guy again.

Jaden and I have quite a bond. I think it is because we share a love for fuzzy blankets and squishy fluffy animals... and chips! That is how I trained him to say my name, "Ashee!" He got a chip after each attempt. (Take that Erin hah!) Jaden never fails to amuse me. Even though he doesn't say much, his mannerisms speak for him. However, I do enjoy the occasional one-liner, "Cody did it!" He is a fearless little kid, who can out-eat anyone. Not kidding. Only Aubrey knows where his food goes. *Wink wink*.

One of the most contagious laughs I've ever heard, is Hunter's. When he laughs, its a burst of joy. He looks so much like Austin, and I'm sure he's just as sly. He has this way of jutting out his chin and giving such a mischievous smile, you can't help but wonder what he is up to. When I last saw Hunter, he just wanted to play with everyone. No matter the game, he wanted in on the fun.

Madeleine, with her beautiful black pearl eyes rarely fails to convince me into giving her candy. This is usually how it goes:
[After a quiet knock on the door, Maddi enters]
Maddi: Hi, Ashley, how are you today?
Me: I'm good Maddi, how are you?
Maddi: [without missing a beat, her eyes go bright] Oh! what are those!? [looking at the fresh new bag of Cadbury chocolate eggs I had just given in to buying]
Me: Those are Cadbury eggs Maddi, they are the best candy in the universe and even the Queen of England has her own secret stash that she refuses to share with anyone...ever! And I also refuse to share my beloved Cadbury chocolates.
Maddi: Oooh... [while the wheels are turning] Ashley, you are the awesomest person in the whole wide world!"
Me: Well thanks Maddi...I..
Maddi: Can I have some!?
Me: *Sigh* Okay, you can have some.
-I was no match to the four-year old, who I'm certain will always be tanner than me for the rest of my life.

Brynnleigh has the sweetest disposition. She has this soft voice and big brown eyes that look right into your heart. During my last visit, I would frequently hear her say, "Aunt Ashley, come play with me!" After reading stories, and playing with "Play-dough", we would play Mariokart and she quickly proved that she was perfect for the position of "second-gunner" mercilessly bombing Cody with red shells, bananas, etc.
"Push the red button!!!!" I would cry, and Brynn with all her energy would tap, tap, tap it with such concentration, that our worthy opponent did not stand a chance.

These little half-pints are their parents' and especially their grandparents' pride and joy, and they are my favorite little rascals!

4 comments:

Erin Brady said...

Hahahaha! My baby's the siren. She really does like other people more now. I think you described everyone to a "T".

Lara Lee said...

Shly! i agree with you my nieces and nephews are amazing. Miss you and i hope you are doing all right!

Aubrey said...

You captured everyone beautifully. I love the descriptions of Brynnleigh and Hunter:) I would pay good money to be there when Bridger can finally take Aidan.
You are a wonderful Aunt.
Especially after today when you were holding Jaden in Church, even though he had really frequent, loud, smelly, gas ... and everyone thought it was you. That is the pure love of Christ

Racquel & Aidan Goodwin said...

ah the littel bridge man loves you too and can't wait to see you again as well. too bad there is one little girl missing. i guess we will all get a chance to meet her on the other side =)